Sock yarn

Last fall, I bought three skeins of Wildfoote sock yarn, with the plan of making at least one pair of socks.

In my life, I’ve completed one pair of socks.  And in all honesty, they were less than successful.

I’d been knitting about 2 years, and so at the advanced age (or so I thought) of 10, I attempted a pair of socks.  Never mind this was my first attempt at knitting with
double-pointed needles … this fine a yarn … and an argyle pattern!  I had no idea how complicated knitting those socks would be.

In retrospect, maybe it’s best as children we don’t always have an idea of what we’re undertaking.  I suspect that’s how we learn important tasks like walking.  But I digress …

Eventually, I finished the socks.  And don’t think they ever fit anyone.  There was no stretch to them, and they were too tight for me, let alone an adult.

Have you noticed how hard it can be lately to find socks that fit?  The selections in my local stores are less than optimal, especially for knee highs.  Basically, they’re non-existent.

With some planning, I felt I could undertake this project.  After all, there are lots of patterns online, and even videos with knitting techniques.  This time, I have lots of experience knitting hats and mittens with double-pointed needles, and well, I’m no longer
10 years old! ;)

My first attempt was a variation of an old pattern, a twisted ribbed sock.

cuff

I started with the cuff and part way down the leg realized the sock wouldn’t fit.  Then, I decided  to make my first pair for a household member, not for myself.  So the sizing was off.

Of course.

I let the unfinished cuff sit, while working on other projects.  Finally, I decided to take the plunge and try again.  After looking at various options and realizing I needed a new approach, I decided to adapt one of Wendy Knits’ patterns, her Sportweight Toe-up Gusset Heel Sock.  You can find the pattern here (scroll down to it).

Since the pattern seems to be a template, and doesn’t specify the pattern for the instep and leg, I decided I want a ribbing.  The elasticity and simplicity seemed a good fit, since making  fitted socks can be challenging, even for experienced knitters.

I tried a couple of rib stitches.  With my yarn which is finer than sport weight, the simple knit 1 purl 1 ribbing looks best.  And is the most elastic of those I checked.

So, I frogged (ripped out for non-knitters) my knitting and started over.  Starting with the toe and working up seems to be working better so far.

Socks1a

It’s working up well.  I’m excited to see how it progresses.

Thank you Wendy for the free pattern!

Share and Enjoy:
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • Mixx
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS
  • Print