My first ribbed knee sock is done!

sock1done

If you knew how many socks I’ve tried to knit and ended up ripping out, you’d know what a major accomplishment this is.  The toe up sock seems to be easier for me.

No, it wasn’t as hard as I thought.  I made my own adjustments for a high arch and for the calf.  And after seeing the smile on the recipient’s face as I tried the finished sock on her, realized just how much love a custom made knitted sock can convey.

These socks definitely seem easier to knit than starting with the cuff and knitting down.  First of all, you start with the smaller number of stitches rather than the wider cuff.  Secondly, it’s easy to custom fit the sock by trying it on while working.  I suspect 2 circular needles rather than double pointed ones would be even easier (to try on).  Since I have double pointed needles in the right size, I’m sticking with them.  Third, there’s no seam, either to sew or to rub on tender feet.  I’m making these socks for a nonagenarian, and her skin can be quite tender.  And I like the idea of pampering her with custom-made socks.  Something she’s never had before.  About time, don’t you agree?

Best of all, it fits and pleases the recipient!

The ribbing adds some support to the sock.  I’m hopeful it and the shaping for the leg will will keep it from falling down.  The yarn worked up well.  I used a whole skein for one sock.  It’s well worth it if they’re successful.

It’s hard to find knee socks that fit around here.  I don’t know if that’s true throughout the U.S., or if it’s regional. I suspect it’s national, since I haven’t seen many knee socks in catalogs or online.

Anyway, completing one sock means just one thing: it needs a mate!

Of course I had to start the second sock.

Right away! 😉

Here are two views of the toe.  One with the sock folded, showing the shaping for the toe.

socktoe1

And one showing the tip of the toe.

socktoe2

After watching a video for the Turkish cast on, I decided there must be an easier way.  Wrapping yarn around two size 1 needles required more coordination than I could give with following the directions while I knit.  So, I devised my own method.  It’s probably a combination of others, unless it’s one I haven’t found.  I’m researching cast on directions, and am thinking of attempting a video demonstration in the near future.  Assuming there aren’t a gazillion of them already and I just missed this method first time out…

Comments

comments

Google+ Comments